This is the last week of Basic Rescue Training ever. Hopefully, it will be the last time I will ever have to see the cursed place known as the Basic Rescue Training Centre. Can't wait to know what my vocation is.
Please, please, please, let me be a medic.
Bunker gear consists of:
-A hooded jumper that looks and feels like those things that all those people who go on expeditions to Antarctica and Siberia use. Which is to say that they're thick and furry.
-Leggings.
-A gas mask, with a cylinder filled with charcoal fixed to the front.
Gas Chamber Training this week meant that I had to use the bunker gear on top of my long 4 uniform, do 30 jumping jets, 50 push-ups and shuttle run in that suit, and ultimately, enter a chamber filled with tear gas.
After panicking early on because I could hardly breathe with the mask covering my face, and feeling so damn claustrophobic with two extremely warm layers of clothes on, I have to say, it was probably the most exciting and fun experience of my life.
This despite the fact that I had to take of my hood in the chamber to allow the tear gas to attack my skin.
And having to take of my mask so I could inhale the gas into my lungs.
And choking on the gas while I ran out of the chamber.
And feeling like I was trapped in a locust plague.
And puking out copious amounts of phlegm and saliva.
And having mucus running uncontrollably out of my nose.
And crying so hard I couldn't even see.
By the end of the whole thing, I was laughing from the adrenaline rush and from the feeling that I'd just done something insane and survived.
Jackass moment right there.
Johnny Knoxville would have been proud.
So despite Gas Chamber Training being one of the worst things I have ever had to put my body through, it was still one of the best experiences in my life.
Kudos to CD.